P1B58945DN - LYD707E Restoration - help wanted

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
LYD707E

P1B58945DN - LYD707E Restoration - help wanted

Post by LYD707E »

Hi to everyone,

To spice this forum up, I'm going to ask you for help.

Unfortunately, one of the connecting rods of my engine broke and the crankshaft was damaged. A mechanic is dealing with this but once the engine is out of the car, I would really love to improve the body. There's some evident rust under the radiator grille and around the front bumper and some other hidden rust must be present.

The problem: I have never ever made any bodywork and I only have the book of the picture: Image to guide me

Ideal solution: I offer free full-board accommodation and free Spanish tuition to any person interested in helping me here in the North of Spain. A person who is able to guide me throughout the process. That would be great!!!

Another solution: Anyone who is able to tell me what to do, step by step, online. That's why I have created a blog http://lyd707e.blogspot.com.es/ in which I would like to publish what I keep doing.

If you would like to either come and visit us in Spain or help me online, please, contact me on lyd707e@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Un saludo,

Fernando.
cass3958

Re: P1B58945DN - LYD707E Restoration - help wanted

Post by cass3958 »

Having stipped and cleaned and polished and repaired every part of my S Type and having taken several hundred photos during the process I would be more than willing to give you any advice you need. I will send you an email with my contact details so all you need to do is ask a question and I can supply advice and photos. Love to take you up on the free board and lodgings but I don't think the wife would let me get away with that.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
LYD707E

Post by LYD707E »

Hola Cass,

Thanks for your help.

I really need a lot of help because I have no idea of anything. I have never ever weald or done any body work. So, I'm really grateful for your kind offer. I am quite worried about repairing rust under the radiator grill because it is a really curved area and I don't know what to do with it.

Ssssh! Don't mention it to your wife. Hahahahaha!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will wait for your email.

Thanks.

Un saludo,

Fernando.
NigelW

Post by NigelW »

Hi Fernando

Sounds like you have a steep learning curve coming up!

The best place to get any panels you will need is Martin Robey' s, Have a look at their web page with the front panels listed. The are listed under Mk2 but are the same for the lower sections on the S Type.

https://www.martinrobey.com/jaguar/inte ... ame-outer/

You can see the the curved under grill panel listed. If that part has rusted out then more than likely the other panels in the front will also need attention. Your best bet is to find a workshop locally who can help you as this will take a fair amount of skill if any structural welding is needed. Please post a few photos on the forum of the the underside so we can get an idea of what is required.

Regards Nigel
1964 Jaguar 3.8 S Type 1B50442BW (since 1976)
2012 VW Up!
2022 VW Multivan (T7 Transporter)
2024 (2025 MY) Hyundai Tucson
LYD707E

Post by LYD707E »

Hola Nigel,

Thanks for your help.

I will post pictures as soon as possible. At the moment, the car is in the local garage where they are dealing with the engine issue. Once I can bring the car to my house I will start with it and I will be able to take pictures of it. I expect to have the car back either this week or the following one.

Thanks.

Un saludo,

Fernando.
Chris Dixon

Post by Chris Dixon »

Hi Fernando

I'm happy to come to Spain and give you some practical help and lots of moral support! It would be great if you could follow the restoration manual and put a Mk2 front end on an S Type.

Regards
Chris
LYD707E

Post by LYD707E »

Hola Chris,

I would love to have you here!

Yes I am able to put an MK II front instead of the S-type one Hahahaha!

You would be more than welcome to visit us whenever you want to and we would appreciate it.

At the moment, I am clearing the garage where I am going to do all the work (I'm finishing it today) and this week I will have to go to mechanic's garage to take videos and pictures of the car (mainly bottom areas) because it is in a car elevator. Then I will tow the car home and I will start it.

I was speaking to the mechaninc and he said that it doesn't look too bad. Rust is affecting "cosmetic" parts but no estructural ones. The idea is using a sand gun to get rid of the paint and rust.

Then, the difficult part, which is repairing the rotten areas. I don't have a clue about how to do this. I have never ever weald anything and I don't even know how to work with body parts. That's what I'm scared of. At the end, I will give some primer so that it doesn´t rust again and then, I will take it to the painter to do the fine job.

So, if you think you can help me with all this I am more than happy to welcome you to our home and to enjoy our Spanish food and lifestyle.

Just let me know your preferred dates and we would love to host you in a room with en-suite bathroom. On top of that, we're a Spanish school and if you want to learn some Spanish you're more than welcome to join a course.

Thanks.

Un saludo,

Fernando.
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

Don' Laugh - it has been done! :lol:
A few years ago, your webmaster and I went to look at an"'S'-type" for sale in Phoenix, AZ.
There we found P1B77666DN, a white 'S'-type with a Mk2 front clip on it. No-one knew exactly who did it or when.
You can read the whole story in Newsletter Vol. 9, No. 7.
Attachments
P1B77666DN Side View.jpg
P1B77666DN Side View.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Tom Hoffman
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hoffman »

Thanks for posting that David, I couldn't find my pictures of that car. :D
Tom Hoffman
Webmaster

#1B53255DN
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

Fernando, if you have never done welding or bodywork, why not leave the job to someone who knows?

Welding is dangerous work, you are dealing with explosive gases.

If you need a replacement engine block, I have one, inside a wood crate. The crankshaft is good, the pistons are seized,
the block will need to be dismantled, rebored, and reassembled. It is a 3.8 liter block. (no cylinder head).

shipping to north spain, that is another story, I have shipped Jaguar parts to UK, AU, and Netherlands but not to Spain, and this baby weighs like 10 thousand toneladas.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 76 visits

paddyx350 (2), RollyTG (1), jonesdl (4), User avatar Tom Hoffman (11), Albion (3), DevilDog (1), deelcee (2), Horse Power Junkie (2), muzza49 (1), nolbry (2), Markunderwood (1), philippe (1), LYD707E (23), sulzeruk (2), User avatar cass3958 (4), User avatar David Reilly (2), Jose (12), johngosnell (1)