Radiator remote drain tap

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Jose
Global Moderator

Radiator remote drain tap

Post by Jose »

My S type came with a remote radiator drain Tap or petcock per the pictures below. Great idea but the problem is that the brass petcock leaks 1 drop at a time.

I've tried replacing a spring to get more tension but it still leaks.

I removed it and installed a normal drain "key" which stopped the slow leak.

But I would like to reinstall the remote drain assembly. Looking for tips on how to stop the tap from leaking.
radiator-drain-tap.jpg
radiator-drain-tap.jpg (58.35 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
remote-radiator-drain-tap-assembly.jpg
remote-radiator-drain-tap-assembly.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
cass3958

Re: Radiator remote drain tap

Post by cass3958 »

Never stripped one down so no idea how it operates inside. I would presume like all taps it has rubber washers and no doubt these are perished so replacing them would be my first point of call. If it does not have rubber washers and relies on the brass ball with a hole in to seal against the outer section but the brass ball has worn why not try closing the tap whilst off the car and dripping some Radweld in to the ball section. This would seal it up and it might leak again later when or if you have to use the tap breaking the Radweld seal but it can always be resealed the same way. I do not like to use Radweld in th radiator as it tends to clog up the whole system but a little in the tap when its off the car might solve the leak.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

yes Cass, no rubber seals, only a brass "ball" which can be removed.

I think the brass cavity or the ball has worn, or both. Brass being a soft metal.

the idea is good. going to look for a sealer product. I've not seen the product you mention in auto parts stores.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

We have Radweld over here made by a company called Holts but there are lots of alternatives. Wynns which I think is sold in the USA makes a sealant for radiators. You would not need much. Boil a kettle add some sealant to the boiling water and then pour it in to the closed tap and it should seal it up for you. If you ever needed to use the tap it should not stop it from turning but you would possibly then break the seal you made and you would have to remove the tap and reseal it again.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

just like Firegum, not sold in the US. But there are other sealers available, will investigate. Thanks.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 20 visits

RollyTG (1), User avatar cass3958 (6), User avatar Orlando St.R (1), vaultsman (1), Jose (8), User avatar Tom Hoffman (1), LYD707E (1), DevilDog (1)