Hard to obtain spares

Use this forum for all general discussion issues about the Jaguar "S"-Type automobiles from the 1960's. Post in existing topics or create a new topic to begin a discussion.
Forum rules
Keep discussions civil at all times.
Treetrimmer

Hard to obtain spares

Post by Treetrimmer »

Hi folks,

English " lockdown" means I'm getting on with a few jobs on my 1965 3.8 auto S type.
During a delay in getting my Brake servo shield repaired, I'm looking at other problem areas, and I would appreciate some assistance with obtaining replacements for hard to get components.

1) The vacuum reservoir for the heating system controls, located under the N/S wing ( English, R.H. Drive car) is in a poor way, and part of its " supporting leg" has rusted away, although the tank itself seems intact. Welding a new support is likely to be difficult, due to the amount of general rust. It appears to be " no longer available" from SNG Barratt/ David Manners.
Has anyone found a modern replacement? It's only a simple vacuum tank, but presumably I'd have to re-use the original non-return valve.

2) The "air hose" which runs from the air cleaner to a fixing adjacent to the radiator. Again, this seems unobtainable from the normal Jaguar suppliers, but is only a simple hose.

Has anyone found any easily obtainable replacements/ equivalents?

Regards, Richard
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.
JCS

Re: Hard to obtain spares

Post by JCS »

Richard

I know they are on backorder at SNG BARRETT but have you considered using a brake tank C24910. I have found SNG are normally quite fast at restocking such items.

Another option would be to search out a truck scrap yard and obtain an air brake tank. They have thick side walls which makes them ideal to weld on brackets. Useful, if only temporary whilst you get the real thing.

Norman
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Richard I had a small hole by the mounting arm in my vacuum tank so cleaned it up and applied some Araldite to the hole. As it is a vacuum tank it is trying to pull the araldite in rather than pushing it off so worked quite well. As your mounting arm has rusted away perhaps you could weld a new arm to the best metal you have and the aradlite it to the tank or take it to someone who can TIG weld or copper braise the arm to the tank.
With the intake air hose I used aluminium 70mm i/d tubing off Ebay. You can see my results here. http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... take#p3372
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Treetrimmer

Post by Treetrimmer »

Hi guys, thank you for your prompt responses. I apologise for not responding sooner, but life got in the way!

I have overcome my immediate problem with the heating controls vacuum tank; I found a length of suitable width metal strip, fabricated a new "leg" assembly, and pop riveted it to the sound remnants of the original legs. To protect the squeamish, I haven't attached a photo.

Rob, I liked your replacement air trunking, and now have something similar on order, but not the pricey trumpet! Thank you for the idea. I admired your under bonnet work, and will endeavour to do a bit of polishing to my cam covers, and the " link piece" between the carburettor and the air cleaner. My air cleaner has an after market polished "sleeve"; it just needs a bit more cleaning.

Regards, Richard
1965 Jaguar "S" type, 3.8 automatic
Mercedes SL 400
Land Rover Discovery 4 H.S.E.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Richard we are not above being "Squimed". We have seen most things on here in photos, good and bad. Even the bad is good sometimes as there is no other way to repair an obsolete piece that has broken anyway you can and others might follow you. Post away.
Glad you liked the polished engine. I think I will leave the Old English White air box in there now I am getting used to it.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 29 visits

KeithD (2), User avatar Orlando St.R (1), deelcee (2), Jim_R (1), Harv (1), User avatar John Quilter (5), Treetrimmer (6), User avatar Tom Hoffman (2), johngosnell (2), User avatar David Reilly (1), User avatar cass3958 (4), JCS (2)