P1B58945DN - LYD707E Restoration - help wanted

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
LYD707E

Re: P1B58945DN - LYD707E Restoration - help wanted

Post by LYD707E »

Hola Jose,

Thanks for your recommendation. I won't do the wealding. As you said it can be dangerous. That's why I'm looking for help.

However, I would like to do the body work. I think I can manage to do that and I would like to show off with my friends. Hahahahaha!

Regarding the engine block, I woulld definitely be interested. Could you please let me know the price and if you could sell me just the crankshaft.

I could drive to England to reduce shipping costs.

Thanks for all your help.

Un saludo,

Fernando.
LYD707E

Post by LYD707E »

Hola Jose:

Hi again! I've been speaking to the mechanic in charge of the engine.

He has told me to ask you if the following issues are in good state:

crankcase
crankshaft
oil pump
connecting rod

Thanks.

Un saludo,

Fernando.
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

3.8-engine-crated-1.JPG
3.8-engine-crated-1.JPG (101.66 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Hola Fernando,

The sump was removed and the crankshaft visually inspected as best as possible, it looked good, but only looking at what could be seen without actually removing it. Same with connecting rods and oil pump, etc.

The pistons are seized in place from the engine sitting. the rods will need to be disconnected, crankshaft removed, and the pistons pressed out. The block itself looks fine all around, so does the aluminum sump.

unfortunately I cannot dismantle the block to see if the crankshaft or any other part is good as it is. That is why I am selling it as a Rebuildable Core. The price is $600.00 US dollars, whatever that is in Euros. Shipping is in addition to the price and I have no idea how much it would be or how it would be shipped, but most likely via Barco.

The block is inside a wood Crate with wheels, so it is easily movable around, but it weighs a lot,

Tell the mechanic the block would have to be boiled (hervido) in a machine shop to remove all the crud of the centuries inside the water channels, it is after all a 1963 casting. then rebored with oversized pistons.

This is an easy job for someone who knows how to rebuild Jaguar engines, maybe I am making it look too difficult but the fact is I don't rebuild engines. I can dismantle and reassemble an entire car, but I don't mess with rebuilding engines.

the two photos show the crated engine block.
the crate is a work of art. Maybe I should sell a Beautiful Wood Crate with a Jaguar engine block inside?
Attachments
3.8-engine-crated-2.JPG
3.8-engine-crated-2.JPG (95.28 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

just in case, I also have two exhaust manifolds. They need blasting to clean them and refinish them. No broken studs. Pictures tomorrow.
LYD707E

Post by LYD707E »

Hola Jose,

I will have to ask the mechanic next week and I will let you know what he prefers.

I thought the engine was in the UK not in the USA. Sorry! Could you please find roughly out what the price for shipping would be?

Thanks.

Un saludo,

Fernando.
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

Fernando,

send me a private message with a destination address, I will research what it will cost to send it to Spain.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 76 visits

paddyx350 (2), RollyTG (1), jonesdl (4), User avatar Tom Hoffman (11), Albion (3), DevilDog (1), deelcee (2), Horse Power Junkie (2), muzza49 (1), nolbry (2), Markunderwood (1), philippe (1), LYD707E (23), sulzeruk (2), User avatar cass3958 (4), User avatar David Reilly (2), Jose (12), johngosnell (1)