Weather strips - outer doors

Body & metalwork restoration, Exterior trim, Bumpers, Doors, Glazing & Seals. Interior (inc. Instruments & Switches) & Luggage spaces
jaguar&mg

Weather strips - outer doors

Post by jaguar&mg »

I have had some new weather strips installed as the old ones were cracked and had bits missing from them.

The new ones fall quite short of the full length (they stop where the red lines are). Is this correct? Does anyone have a close-up photo of theirs, please?
Window rubber.jpg
Window rubber.jpg (103.13 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
1964 Jaguar S type 3.8 Man OD
1966 Jaguar S type 3.8 Man OD PAS
1967 MGB
1986 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 (series 3)
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Re: Weather strips - outer doors

Post by Orlando St.R »

They should go right to the end and abut the chrome window channels. The issue is covered quite well, with photos, in this topic: http://jagstyperegister.com/forum_new/v ... &start=160
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

If the weather strips do not go all the way across the glass you are going to get an awful lot of water running down inside the door which is not a problem if you have treated the inside of the doors with waxoyl and you have made sure that the drain holes in the bottom of the doors are clear to let the water run out.
We have just discussed the weather strips with Joe as his were too long and he had to cut them to length. When suggesting that he cut them around the chrome it was pointed out to him not to stretch them before cutting as they would then be too short. Perhaps this is what has happened in your case. When I did mine i actually squashed the weather strip together and then cut it so when I placed in in situ it ran the full length of the glass on both sides.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Albion

Post by Albion »

Make sure you get the ones with mole skin on the inner side. They are much easier to slide in the chrome without stretching them, they have the original profile different from the rubbish supplied by barratts which I struggled to insert. They were so difficult to insert I had damaged one and so took the opportunity and ordered some others from another supplier which fit without any problems.
1967 Jaguar S Type 3.8 Auto former British registration number NUC 707E
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Can you tell us who the other supplier was that you ordered the replacements from.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Albion

Post by Albion »

Good morning,

Strips were ordered from David Manners. Many of you already know the issues I had with Barratts. Start with difficult communication, missing items delivered and end up with crap parts. When I started the project, first thing I got to start gathering parts was a complete rubber set. What I have found out till now is that weather strips are no good, being those without moleskin and they are very hard to insert. Also, the quarter window rubbers leave much to be desired. They are thinner and softer, with the result that you get them all crooked out particularly in the lower curve.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

I bought my rubber set from a company called Wilkinsons and did not have a problem with most of it. The only part I did not like was the front and rear quarter light rubbers.
The fronts perished and broke up and had to be replaced after four years and the rear rubbers I found to be too thick. The rubbers would not allow the rear quarter light windows to seal completely and I had water seeping in which then ruined the veneer on the door cappings. All sorted now with new front rubbers and new thinner rubbers at the rear. Both came from the same company but they assured me that they came from different suppliers.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
Albion

Post by Albion »

Hi, I already posted this on parts for sale, but since it is related, i am going to ask here as well. Does anyone have a set of chrome strips the sliding weather strip type for sale?
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

I believe I have a spare set but they are not in the best condition. I will send you an Email with some photos Josef.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 58 visits

DevilDog (1), User avatar Glyn Ruck (4), Horse Power Junkie (1), User avatar David Reilly (3), Treetrimmer (1), User avatar jaguar&mg (2), RollyTG (5), User avatar NigelW (1), User avatar Orlando St.R (8), jonesdl (3), maurizio ortodossi (1), Albion (18), User avatar cass3958 (9), Sam01 (1)