Crankcase Ventilation

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Chris Dixon

Crankcase Ventilation

Post by Chris Dixon »

My car has a PCV stamped to the effect that it meets California emissions standards for 1963. I'm told all cars had that regardless of market, but I wonder if there is any benefit in removing it, or any potential harm in keeping it. As far as I can tell the PCV has a valve in it that reacts to crankcase vacuum, to vent oil fumes to the air cleaner housing. Unless they can stick shut and stop the crankcase from ventilating, I don't see any reason to remove it from a healthy engine, but if your car has pancake air filters is the pipe just venting to the road, or a catch tank?
NigelW

Re: Crankcase Ventilation

Post by NigelW »

Chris, my car '64 model doesn't have the California markings but I have stack pipes on the carbs with the crankcase venting out to the road via a tube. I have a catch tank waiting to be fitted when I get around to it.
1964 Jaguar 3.8 S Type 1B50442BW (since 1976)
2012 VW Up!
2022 VW Multivan (T7 Transporter)
2024 (2025 MY) Hyundai Tucson
Jose
Global Moderator

Re: Crankcase Ventilation

Post by Jose »

do you mean a PCV "valve" like modern engines?

Where is it located?

The XK engine vents from the engine breather to the air filter housing, an early "pcv" system.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 16 visits

Rogerisleofman (1), Millwind (1), RollyTG (1), jonesdl (1), User avatar cass3958 (3), Motorvated (1), Robman25 (1), Horse Power Junkie (1), Jose (4), User avatar Tom Hoffman (1), johngosnell (1)