Steering wheel

Brakes (including handbrake), Steering, Suspension & sub-frames, Wheels & Tires
Jose
Global Moderator

Re: Steering wheel

Post by Jose »

actually, after seeing the picture, the steering COLUMN seems to be angled to the right as you are sitting in the driver's seat. So you may be correct that the angle is off.

I don't know if this is an effect of the camera, but the growler emblem should be centered between the two gauges, the speedo and the tachometer, assuming you are taking a picture on-center.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I think it's just the picture. The base under the gauges/wood looks correct. There is only one place the top of column mounting bracket can go.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Orlando St.R wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm Wandering briefly off topic, as we so often do, the Varamatic steering box has two marks to line up to centre the steering box when you are aligning the front wheels. This is important because of the variable ratio of the rack, so away from dead ahead, the ratio increases and you don't want your dead ahead position at the wheels to be where the ratio increases. You then level the steering wheel afterwards using the same marks.

centre the steering box.jpg
Good catch Orlando. For those lucky enough to have the Varamatic. Drove one the other day. It really is a better experience. I think you were very wise to fit.
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

jaguar&mg wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:09 am Are these Mark 2/S-Type wheels like-for-like, or have I asked for the wrong thing? I may just be being paranoid, and of course it is difficult to tell from photos.
According to the parts manual the part number for the Mk2, S Type and 420 steering wheel is the same being C18758 so it does not matter which model of car it came from.
Your photo angle and the wide angle lens do make the position of the steering wheel look a little off centre. Is there a chance you can post a picture of the wheel taken from the back seat in a straight ahead position please. This should give us a better view. As has been said the wheel can only really go in one place as there is a connecting bracket under the dash and this cannot be moved. There is I think only one hole in the floor that the steering column can go through so as long as these align the steering wheel should be straight. From the driver's seat you should be able to see both the Tacho and Speedo clearly through the upper section of the steering wheel.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
jaguar&mg

Post by jaguar&mg »

Thank you for all the help. I think I’m beginning to believe that it is not possible for it to be in the wrong position, so here is the best photo I have at the moment (taken from the back seat) – bearing in mind, of course, that I am nowhere near the car at the moment and I’m not the person taking the pictures!

Looking at it again, as I upload it, it continues to look as if it is off centre.
Attachments
BCF11456-9DF6-4191-B067-4872BF94DAD8.jpeg
BCF11456-9DF6-4191-B067-4872BF94DAD8.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 2571 times
1964 Jaguar S type 3.8 Man OD
1966 Jaguar S type 3.8 Man OD PAS
1967 MGB
1986 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 (series 3)
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

it looks more correct in that new picture. Take some measurements: Left spoke to speedo, right spoke to tachometer, see how much difference there is.

are you missing the hard vinyl left shoe / clutch pedal carpet protector ?
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Looks fine to me.

RHD cars don't have tunnel carpet protectors if we understand one another. Only under the heels.
A1B56966DN
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

I have a Red one but LHD. Can be used RHD.

what is the material called? It is some kind of hard vinyl. Linoleum-like. My factory-floor mats have it too.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

It's a heavy Vynide. RHD cars don't need them. They have a little more pedal space & your accelerator foot leans against the vinyl kick panel.

Even on LHD cars they are only really needed with Automatics with the wider tunnel.
A1B56966DN
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

Vynide? never heard of it. Found something similar a Woolies:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/ ... inyl-cream

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 119 visits

Norton (4), User avatar Glyn Ruck (56), Rogerisleofman (1), User avatar cass3958 (12), User avatar jaguar&mg (5), JCS (1), Markunderwood (1), Jose (28), User avatar Orlando St.R (7), awiedie (1), DevilDog (3)