Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Jose
Global Moderator

Re: Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Post by Jose »

there are no plain washers between the Bracket and the Timing Cover. The Bracket itself acts like a plain "washer".

But each of the two bolts at the timing cover should have a plain washer and a lock or "star" washer.

The Clamp should have a plain and lock washer at the nut end, and a plain washer under the bolt.

in my car, the Nut was UNDER the clamp, and the bolt head at the top of the clamp. Not that it matters at all.
awiedie

Post by awiedie »

Thanks Orlando for the kind words. Your hose, seal and bracket setup looks great. To answer your question about washers at the air cleaner bracket. the bracket sits on the head just like the plug wire brackets with a beveled head washer under the dome nut. There is a regular washer under the thumb screw at the top of the bracket. Anyone with contradictory information, please correct me.
Attachments
s type 004.JPG
s type 004.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
s type 005.JPG
s type 005.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
1964 3.8 S Type LHD DG Auto Opalescent Silver Grey over red
1966 E Type FHC Carmen Red over black
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Wonderful Orlando. Thanks for accurate & excellent pics from you & Alan.

Orlando/Alan ~ Just so I get my order correct. You used 70mm ID convoluted pipe. What length did you order to have sufficient for the job? Did you snip the end that attaches to the air cleaner snout into tabs & alternate folding them internal & external under the Wiedie rubber collar/sleeve or did you just push it (the convoluted pipe) over the snout & attach the collar? I've seen both methods employed & don't know which is original.
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

haha!! :lol: Mr. Super Originality !

the hose goes OVER the metal pipe of the air filter housing, not inside it. It should fit tight enough. :mrgreen:
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

This has been a really interesting post as I have only seen two S types with the hose fitted and both of them had a clamp for the hose attached to the inner wing under the washer bottle bracket. I though it was strange as their are no holes on my inner wing for the clamp, so now I know how it should be fitted correctly. Unfortunately both my bracket & clamp are missing possibly like so many over the years they have been junked as not required. Encouraging to know that these parts can be found, I will just keep looking as never seen them on Ebay, but I will ask around especially as the 420 appears to be the same.If anybody has some they do not require then please let me know.
Regards
Dave J.
Dave J.
1966 Reg.1965 Built Jaguar S Type 3.8 MOD
2001 BMW 530D M sport touring
2010 Kia Carens L.S (Wife & Grandkids wheels)
2000 BMW R1100s
1971 Norton Commando 750 & 1964 AJS 350 Arter Trials
1959 BSA DBD 34 Clubman x 2
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

probably someone trying to move the hose away from the hot air near the radiator and fan?

I have been told (when I was looking for a replacement hose), that in late 1966 through 1968 production this hose was deleted, but David says there is no Service Bulletin about it, and the parts book does not give any VIN "delete" info. either.

In my car I removed the hose and clamp / bracket. There is an existing hole on the inner wing panel with a rubber plug which I removed to allow cool air into the engine compartment. It is near the intake pipe of the air cleaner. I really didn't notice any performance difference without the hose.
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I will whip those washers out at some stage and put them on the other side of the bracket. I thought they probably weren't required, but the resolution on the Newsletter 7.4 with pix of David's car wasn't quite sharp enough to be sure. Yes, I installed the 70mm hose over the outside of the air intake and Alan's collar neatly holds it in place. Though I confess that, looking at David's car, the hose appears to go inside the intake tube. It took me three years to find the clamps, so there aren't too many about.
originality from vol 7 no 4.jpg
originality from vol 7 no 4.jpg (595.27 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Thank you Orlando. 70mm id it is likely to be in the modern world. Looks fine. I'll order a metre. I hope Alan & David chip in again regarding the termination under the sleeve. David's is original & Alan's pipe is NOS supplied to him by David who had kept a spare. Technically if it went inside the aircleaner snout it would create less turbulence & be better but I think it goes on the outside with or without tabs.

Jose ~ I'm an unapologetic perfectionist & attention to detail has served me well in my career. I establish originality by asking questions when I don't know. Alan has a particularly accurate engine compartment right down to the correct markings on the fan motor & having these sleeves made. Orlando has also helped me with original decal positions etc for RHD so the 3 of us are kindred spirits when it comes to accuracy.

Fortunately my original car had the front bracket & clamp still attached but the pipe & sleeve were missing.
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A1B56966DN
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

yes haha! :D

I'm an unapologetic Driver, I like to use cars, drive them, improve them, the S type and the XJ-6 left the factories with unfinished details, I like to "finish" them.

I like antique cars with modern conveniences.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

To each his own. I'm building a concours car. I'm not suggesting you do what I am doing. My efforts are reflected in the value of the car.
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 777 visits

User avatar Glyn Ruck (186), Rogerisleofman (2), davinius77 (1), User avatar David Reilly (15), philippe (3), awiedie (105), User avatar Orlando St.R (66), muzza49 (5), User avatar Tom Hoffman (10), abbirkin (3), User avatar John Quilter (11), Treetrimmer (31), User avatar cass3958 (77), ditrc123 (2), Bingo (1), Eddielopez! (1), RollyTG (4), pjrjag (9), JCS (17), johngosnell (19), DevilDog (5), Sam01 (1), khateeb (6), jonesdl (22), User avatar NigelW (10), Albion (5), brentpham (10), Jose (120), vaultsman (1), LYD707E (1), trianglefracture (2), nolbry (25)