enough is enough Car fumes ?

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Glyn Ruck

Re: enough is enough Car fumes ?

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Yes ~ it just pushes on to the large nipple on the scuttle ~ no clip/clamp & then is held in place by tabs lower down on the scuttle/firewall & exhausts under the car..
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
johngosnell

Post by johngosnell »

After all this time I think that the problems with the smell in the cab will be resolved. After reading Jose item about the vent pipe, It has been found to be missing so I have just ordered a new hose and I am pretty sure that this was the issue all the time, any engine fumes would go strait into the fresh air box .Thank you Jose for your ID

Regards John

11B1257BW
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

John I go back to my original thoughts here though. I too do not have this tube. It was missing when I began my rebuild and as I did not know it was missing have never had the knowledge to replace it. But I stand by what I said and that is, you have to find out what is causing the fumes and where it is coming from so you can eliminate the smell completely from the engine bay. I do not have this tube but do not have any fumes coming in to the cab either. You have a problem somewhere which is creating these fumes and I think you have to rectify that part first.You might find that putting this hose on cures the problem or the fumes just find another small gap in the firewall to sneak through and you are back to square one. Just my pennies worth.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

you welcome John.

if it does not stop the fumes, then you need to look at the exhaust system in the front area for any leak, and the floor under the car.

there are drain holes on the floor, they have vinyl plugs. If plugs are missing, it's another entry point for fumes especially if there is any leak in the exhaust joins.

Another good way to find out is to create smoke and observe where the smoke gets sucked with engine running. A cigar will create enough smoke to be seen.
johngosnell

Post by johngosnell »

Feel a bit down now after the last comments, but I have been assured the exhaust ( stainless steel) is totally sound, but I like the idea of filling the cab with smoke to look for leaks, but I suspect the cab is not very air tight with leaks possibly from doors and windows. With regard to the vent pipe I would have thought that if any ingress of fumes the missing vent would be a prime cause as you all know it is a direct access for air into the car via the airbox. The pipe should be here today but I will have to wait until I can get it fitted.

regards John
1B1257BW
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

It's a bit of a long shot, but how is your boot seal? Driving along one day, I thought 'blimey, the fumes are strong in here today' and, looking in the rear view mirror, found the boot lid had popped open on a speed cushion. On the XJ6, the curved tail pipes on all but the first few were to move the exit points towards the edges of the car to reduce fumes coming into the cabin.

I also find I always get some fumes in the car when any of the windows or NDVs are open. If I close everything, it's fine. So, I guess if some of the door/window seals are not sealing properly, that may have the same effect.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

Talking about XJ curved "S"-shaped muffler tips,

the "S"-shaped muffler tips in the XJ-S are different than the "S"-shaped tips in the XJ-6.

they are "straighter", the "S" shape is not as pronounced as in the XJ-6.

I tried XJ-S muffler tips in my S type and I loved them. Rolled ends, stainless steel, the car looks better.

here's a comparison.
01-S-type-muffler-tips.JPG[/attachment ] [attachment=1]02-S-type-with-XJS-curved-S-tips.JPG
Attachments
01-S-type-muffler-tips.JPG
01-S-type-muffler-tips.JPG (123.29 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
02-S-type-with-XJS-curved-S-tips.JPG
02-S-type-with-XJS-curved-S-tips.JPG (114.9 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Nice!
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

thanks! the tips came from a 1986 XJ-S Coupe V12.

The only problem I didn't mention:

they are 1/8" inch larger diameter than the S type pipe. Need to find a solution / reducer that can be removed easily if I ever wanted to go back to original. Not a metal reducer, maybe carbon fiber.
johngosnell

Post by johngosnell »

Just as a last note I had the boot seal replaced and it gives a good vacume when being closed plus the old one was nothing like the correct seal that I have had fitted.

Regards John

1B1257BW

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 334 visits

deelcee (3), Millwind (1), brent (7), awiedie (24), User avatar Orlando St.R (42), User avatar Tom Hoffman (4), User avatar cass3958 (42), Jose (95), User avatar Glyn Ruck (44), DevilDog (14), jonesdl (1), User avatar David Reilly (2), muzza49 (1), johngosnell (26), vaultsman (16), User avatar NigelW (6), maurizio ortodossi (6)