enough is enough Car fumes ?

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
johngosnell

Re: enough is enough Car fumes ?

Post by johngosnell »

OK a lot of info all good stuff, I have a new breather gauze and paper gaskets so when my son comes over that will be the first thing to replace, I will also get him to check the manifold and down pipe and the inspection covers but it may be some time before I report back. As a side issue while at the car show on Saturday I was offered £23K !! for the car , I love her to much to sell

Regards John

1B1257BW

1972 rover p6
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

John.,
do people in the UK buy Left hand drive cars? Or is that taboo over there?
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Some people, mainly foreigners from across the waters that surround our good country, do have cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side and then have to drive on the correct side on our roads but it makes overtaking really difficult and dangerous.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
DevilDog

Post by DevilDog »

John,
That is an encouraging price....maybe we are on the rise.
Thanks for the info.
Joe
Captain, USMC (Retired)
1965 Jaguar 3.8 Manual w/OD & RHD "Miss Kitty" 1B54554DN
2003 Dodge Durango SLT
2001 Dodge V10 2500
2017 Load N Go 24' car hauler
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

ok, I forgot about one more place where engine fumes will enter the cabin:

the Cowl Vent Drain Pipe.

this pipe is located on the side of the engine manifolds, at the firewall, about halfway down, nearer the heater box. Not easy to see.

There should be a 90 degree hose there facing the ground. At the end of this hose there should be a thin rubber "membrane"seal. The purpose of the membrane seal is to keep the hose "closed" so when it rains and water enters the cowl vent and starts to drain down, the weight of the water spreads the membrane open allowing water to drain.

The lack of a drain hose and membrane will cause fumes to be sucked into the cabin.

the hose if I remember is 3/4" inside diameter. It goes on tight but with a little oil or detergent it goes on easy. No clamp / clip. The membrane seal attaches to the end of the hose by a staple or glue.

The hose and "membrane" is used in my 1984 XJ-6 for the same purpose. The XJ has two drains, two hoses, two membranes.

My 1997 Ford Aerostar minivan also has the same hose and membrane, except it does not have the 90 degree elbow at the hose.
johngosnell

Post by johngosnell »

It has been a bit of time since I came back with an update, but the car has just been returned and assured that the problems have been resolved !!. The issues found was the engine breather filter blocked ( new one fitted) a rubber grommet missing on the fire wall and also the speedo cable rubber re fitted. I have not yet to tried the car, but I live in hope, Jose I will ask my Son to have a look or the drain pie you mentioned.

Regards John

1B1257BW
1972 Rover P6
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

John,
yes, there are a number of grommets at the firewall which contribute to fumes entering the cabin. Another one is the large wiper tubing grommet. but those would not cause the level you described. Check that cowl drain since it is directly connected to the fresh air intake even if the fresh air scuttle vent is closed.
johngosnell

Post by johngosnell »

Jose just to be clear for me, are you talking about a drain pipe that is fitted to the box where air vent scuttle that takes fresh air and drops into when closed. I can't find any parts in the workshop or parts manual.

John

1B1257BW
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

John, whether the car is RHD or LHD, the cowl vent drain is to the right of the center of the engine, as you stand in front of the car looking at the engine, on the side of the manifolds.

it is a pipe coming out of the firewall, about 1" in diameter.

There should be an 90 degree elbow hose connected to the pipe facing down to the ground.
all Jaguars have it.
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

John, whether the car is RHD or LHD, the cowl vent drain is to the right of the center of the engine, as you stand in front of the car looking at the engine, on the side of the manifolds.

it is a pipe coming out of the firewall, about 1" in diameter.

There should be an 90 degree elbow hose connected to the pipe facing down to the ground.
all Jaguars have it.

I.ve tried to find the hose in the Service Manual, not shown in any of the plates. Listed as "Shroud" on page 14 of the index. Directs me to page 392 and it is not listed there.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 334 visits

deelcee (3), Millwind (1), brent (7), awiedie (24), User avatar Orlando St.R (42), User avatar Tom Hoffman (4), User avatar cass3958 (42), Jose (95), User avatar Glyn Ruck (44), DevilDog (14), jonesdl (1), User avatar David Reilly (2), muzza49 (1), johngosnell (26), vaultsman (16), User avatar NigelW (6), maurizio ortodossi (6)