Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
nolbry

Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Post by nolbry »

The original discussion about this topic is archived now. This refers to the originally installed hose to bring cool air to the air cleaner.
Air cleaner intake hose from Service Manual (2).JPG
Air cleaner intake hose from Service Manual (2).JPG (46.57 KiB) Viewed 4536 times

Someone suggested a hose from this firm:
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspo ... cting-hose

They have two relevant internal diameter sizes - one is 69 MM (2.72 inches) and the other is 76 mm (about 3 inches). Has anyone tried either of these on the 2.75 inch air cleaner intake?

Bryan Murphy
3.4S 1B 5819 BW
Ottawa, Canada
Jose
Global Moderator

Re: Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Post by Jose »

I don't know about "cool air" if the hose is oriented in front of the radiator as it originally came. All is going to go through it is very hot air helped by the radiator Fan.

The hose is a paper hose with a coiled "spring" inside it, those hoses were used in many cars in the 1960's and they were called "Pre-Heater Hoses".

I removed mine when I was told by a mechanic that Jaguar "deleted it" in the later S type cars, though David says it doesn't show as deleted in any Service bulletin. (reference: JD's British Cars, Nashville, Tennessee). JD the mechanic serviced two S types in the Nashville area and when I asked him to find me a replacement for a very deteriorated air filter intake hose he explained to me what I just did. The way he explained it made sense: "You don't want hot air going into the intake, and that's what this hose does, remove it and don't bother with it". So I did.
David Reilly

Post by David Reilly »

I don’t know if it makes much difference.
But, in the original position the air is drawn from just behind the radiator which is what temperature? About 90°C (194).
Without the tube, the inlet to the air cleaner is directly above the exhaust manifolds, which I suspect run a lot hotter.
nolbry

Post by nolbry »

Thanks David. You beat me to it. I imagine that is why Jaguar routed the intake hose to behind the radiator. I have read somewhere that the air close to the exhaust manifold could be around 250 degrees C (over 450F).

Bryan Murphy
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

reopening this theme, I think the solution is to pull air from the front or side of the car somehow.

maybe drilling a 3" hole in the inner wheel housing and placing a mesh screen to prevent solids from being sucked through it.

I researched this hose and here are some possible replacements:

www.summitracing.com

part no. AAF-ALL 42150 high temp hose
3" x 120"

part no. AAF-ALL 42141 duct offset single housing
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

As you know mine is a September 1967 manufactured car. I did not have a hose attached to the air intake when I got the car but I did have a type of jubilee clip attached to the radiator mounting point which appeared genuine. It was around 3 inch in diameter and slightly off to the side of the radiator almost as if the intake hose drew cool air from down the side of the radiator rather than from through it. On some Mk2s (not sure if the S Type was the same) they had a grill in place of the fog ranger. did this connect up to an air hose to supply cold air to the intake? On my S Type if you remove the driving light it has a solid back to it so no chance of it being used as an air intake. On the Jaguar 420 it had main lights, fog lights and also two small oblong air grills in the front panel.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

yes the S type has built in buckets for fog lamps with just a center hole for the lamp stud to go through, and a grille was added for cars without fog lamps. Same with MK2 .

though the fog lamp buckets are in theory, ideal for air intakes, if you look behind the buckets there is no tunnel or opening into the engine compartment unless you cut into the inner wheel housing, which in that specific point can debilitate the structural integrity.

the ring or bracket you mention is attached to another side bracket bolted to the engine block. So yes it is original. The hose is clamped by the round ring bracket.
brentpham

Post by brentpham »

Reopening this thread, I think the air intake tube and boot is used to connect the air filter housing and mass air flow sensor to the throttle actuator or body. This rubber like part is attached using simple hose clamps. Replacing the boot takes about 15 minutes.
Using a screwdriver or a small socket and ratchet loosen the clamps that secure the boot or tube to the air cleaner housing and the throttle body by turning the clamp screws counterclockwise. There maybe an mass air flow sensor involved depending on the design of the engine.

best air purifier|best large room air purifier|best air purifier for office|best air purifier for bedroom|best air purifier for allergies|best air purifier for pets|best air purifier for smoke|best air purifier for mold|best air purifier for dust
Last edited by brentpham on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

There aint no MAF's or TB Actuators on old Jaguars. Wrong era of motor cars. Troll ????

s type air cleaner sleeve 001.JPG
s type air cleaner sleeve 001.JPG (45.38 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
P1030374_zps7baa0ed5c.jpg
P1030374_zps7baa0ed5c.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

I think he is confusing the modern or current S type with the 1963-1968 S type.

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 777 visits

User avatar Glyn Ruck (186), Rogerisleofman (2), davinius77 (1), User avatar David Reilly (15), philippe (3), awiedie (105), User avatar Orlando St.R (66), muzza49 (5), User avatar Tom Hoffman (10), abbirkin (3), User avatar John Quilter (11), Treetrimmer (31), User avatar cass3958 (77), ditrc123 (2), Bingo (1), Eddielopez! (1), RollyTG (4), pjrjag (9), JCS (17), johngosnell (19), DevilDog (5), Sam01 (1), khateeb (6), jonesdl (22), User avatar NigelW (10), Albion (5), brentpham (10), Jose (120), vaultsman (1), LYD707E (1), trianglefracture (2), nolbry (25)