Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
cass3958

Re: Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Post by cass3958 »

It is always a possibility Alan but as I have never seen an S Type with Aircon so I could not tell you. The only Aircon that came with British sold cars was wind down windows.
If it was Aircon you would expect a clamp either end possibly. Maybe someone has an Aircon car who can spread some light?
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Never seen such a hose on an S Type but could be a trunk air hose for an Artic Kar or Delaney Delanaire aircon. (Evapourator was fitted in trunk above IRS). Only US & Asian cars were fitted with aircon ex Browns Lane. Many were fitted by US dealers. From memory Artic Kar air trunking was far larger than that.

BTW Rob ~ what ID is that convoluted hose? Could be Mk2 heater trunking which is very different to S Type.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

The internal diameter is around 2 1/2 inch or 65mm so approx the same size as the air intake hose which is why I thought it might be from there apart from its rubber material which would not be compatible with the hot exaust manifold just below it.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
ditrc123

Post by ditrc123 »

I don't have a clue whether it has a lot of effect.

However, in the first position the air is drawn from simply behind the radiator which is what temperature? About 90°C (194).

Without the cylinder, the gulf to the air cleaner is legitimately over the ventilation systems, which I speculate run much more blazing.

As you most likely are aware mine is a September 1967 fabricated vehicle. I didn't have a hose connected to the air admission when I got the vehicle however I had a kind of celebration cut joined to the radiator mounting point which seemed authentic. It was around 3 inch in measurement and marginally out of the way of the radiator as though the admission hose drew chill air from off the side of the radiator instead of from through it. On some Mk2s (not certain if the S Type was the equivalent) they had a flame broil instead of the mist officer. did this associate up to an air hose to gracefully chilly air to the admission? On my S Type in the event that you eliminate the driving light it has a strong back to it so zero chance of it being utilized as an air consumption. On the Jaguar 420 it had primary lights, mist lights and furthermore two little elongated air flame broils in the front board.
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Welcome to the forum. Can you add your location to your details and your chassis number to your signature block please. You will see most members do this and it is encouraged so we know where you are and you chassis number for parts advice as the S Type model changed quite a bit during its 5 years of manufacture.

I think by 1967 production had eliminated the air intake hose from the engine bay. Mine is also a September 67 manufactured car and as far as I can tell it was not originally fitted with the hose. I had the parts handy so retrofitted the bracket and hose to my car. The intake is alongside the radiator as opposed to directly behind it so there is a small amount of certainly cooler air going via the hose to the intake and certainly the air is cooler than that sat in the engine bay directly over the top of the exhaust manifold if you do not have the air hose.
With the fog/mist lights and using the aperture for the hose intake you could adapt this area for the hose. They are dummy grills but a small amount of cutting on the back side would open the grill up to take the hose end and would not be seen once the once dummy grill was replaced. I have the fog lights fitted so this was not an option for me. I have seen others cut a hole in the inner wing and just run the end of the air hose straight into the wheel arch but if you did this you are likely to go through a lot of air filters as the engine draws in dirty dusty air coming off the left front wheel.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 777 visits

User avatar Glyn Ruck (186), Rogerisleofman (2), davinius77 (1), User avatar David Reilly (15), philippe (3), awiedie (105), User avatar Orlando St.R (66), muzza49 (5), User avatar Tom Hoffman (10), abbirkin (3), User avatar John Quilter (11), Treetrimmer (31), User avatar cass3958 (77), ditrc123 (2), Bingo (1), Eddielopez! (1), RollyTG (4), pjrjag (9), JCS (17), johngosnell (19), DevilDog (5), Sam01 (1), khateeb (6), jonesdl (22), User avatar NigelW (10), Albion (5), brentpham (10), Jose (120), vaultsman (1), LYD707E (1), trianglefracture (2), nolbry (25)