Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
cass3958

Re: Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Post by cass3958 »

That is a nice original looking car Nigel.
Did you get the VIN details so we can check if it is on the register?
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
1968 S Type 3.4 Auto. Old English White.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200 Yellow
1966 Ford Anglia 1760 cross flow (still being built)
2012 Old English sheep dog. Grey and white.
http://torbayweddingcarclub.co.uk/?page_id=57
NigelW

Post by NigelW »

I took a photo of the plate with my phone but it didn't come out clear enough, I have given the owner aĺ the details of the register including one of your letters so hopefully he will join us soon.He took me for a ride in it yesterday and I found the front shocks to be shot, unfortunately after talking to him later he found the top mountings rusted on and will have to be cut off. I don't think it will be ready to bring to Ryton so he will be coming along in my car.
1964 Jaguar 3.8 S Type 1B50442BW (since 1976)
2012 VW Up!
2022 VW Multivan (T7 Transporter)
2023 Skoda Karoq
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

NigelW wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:37 pm I had a look at this S Type belonging to a chap living locally today and had a look at the air cleaner on it, it was level across the engine despite as the photo shows in the last one.
Thanks for doing that, Nigel. Yes, it does look a nice car.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

As it was only 32C on Tuesday, I decided to get my Gunson Gastester out and check out a theory I'm sure I saw posted somewhere - that the air intake hose makes the car run richer. I can indeed confirm this, for those who are interested. CO was 2.5 percentage points higher at tickover with the intake hose installed than it was without the hose.

I also thought this post would be a good opportunity to show you my new carb synchronising 'tool'. It's a Rolls Royce technique and (obviously when you look at the photo) the dial gauges measure the height of the pistons inside the suction chambers. I found it was easy to balance them at tickover - and my engine did then run beautifully smoothly - but the levels drifted apart as the revs rise. So, I shall have to go through the full procedure per the service manual. But, I'll choose a cooler day. :) .

The tool comes from here, btw: https://www.britishtoolworks.com/produc ... nizing-kit.

carb-balancing.jpg
carb-balancing.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 2936 times
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

Many thanks for the info regarding the air intake hose, you have confirmed my original response why fitting the hose improves the engine during hot weather pulling away a low revs.
Cheers
Dave J.
Dave J.
1966 Reg.1965 Built Jaguar S Type 3.8 MOD
2001 BMW 530D M sport touring
2010 Kia Carens L.S (Wife & Grandkids wheels)
2000 BMW R1100s
1971 Norton Commando 750 & 1964 AJS 350 Arter Trials
1959 BSA DBD 34 Clubman x 2
khateeb

Post by khateeb »

Thanks for the article,
It was a very good article thanks for sharing your ideas with us ,it helps me a lot

Our Industrial Safety products have the widest range of leading Safety solutions and services on the market today. To Visit Click On This Link:- https://suvidhasafety.com/

Are you Looking for the best industrial air filtration & home air purifier systems in hyderabad. then check list of camfil air purifiers and filtration their health benefits and prices by clicking on this link :- https://suvidhasafety.com/industrial-ai ... r-systems/

At Volio, we believe in our performance and our clients’ credentials to gain the trust of new customers. Key points that repeat our business for Volio. For more info click on this link :- https://volio.net/
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

On the topic of air intake hoses I was putting some bits on EBay today and whilst sorting through my boxes of many parts I came across this.
I think it is an original air intake hose. It is made of a rubber material with a wire spring wound inside. One end is just plain but the other end has a small clamp on built into the rubber so not removable which makes me think it is original It came with loads of S Type parts I bought in a job lot so I am not doubting it came off an S Type but is it the original tube?
Unfortunately it is slightly damaged as you can see in the photos but could be positioned so the damage could not be seen.
Any offers?
IMG_9003.JPG
IMG_9003.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 2389 times
IMG_9004.JPG
IMG_9004.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 2389 times
IMG_9005.JPG
IMG_9005.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2389 times
IMG_9006.JPG
IMG_9006.JPG (3.15 MiB) Viewed 2389 times
As I said I have just put a load of stuff for the S Type on EBay. Here is a link to one part so instead of me repeating everything on here please click on the link and then look at my other items. If you want something contact me direct on the forum rather than EBay as it will be cheaper and no EBay fees. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133134665396
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
awiedie

Post by awiedie »

I don't know where that hose came from, Cass, but almost 100% sure not anywhere on an S Type. If you want to see what the original intake hose was, see David Reilly's post of Feb. 12, 2019 and some previous posts that show the hose on a car. They are made of spiral cardboard with a glossy plastic coating on the outside and are held in place with a rubber sleeve. Might as well get a pitch in here as I still have several of those sleeves left from the batch I had made. $10 plus postage if anyone is interested.

Alan
1964 3.8 S Type LHD DG Auto Opalescent Silver Grey over red
1966 E Type FHC Carmen Red over black
cass3958

Post by cass3958 »

Thanks Alan I have seen Davids post but not sure if this might have been earlier. Not later as they did away with the hose. I bought the rubber sleeve from you last year so I was aware that the sleeve went over the end of the hose but this one has this strange clamp on one end. Can't believe it would be after market as it is too complex with the clamp.
As I said it came with a load of Jaguar S Type parts in a job lot I bought so assumed it was S type. It is the right size and would fit in place apart from the fact it is made of this rubber material which close the exhaust would not work too well.
Rob.C. P1B8973BW
awiedie

Post by awiedie »

Rob, I just had a thought. You don't suppose that the hose was part of the air conditioning system that came with some cars? I agree, it looks like an air hose but not for conditions found next to the exhaust headers.
1964 3.8 S Type LHD DG Auto Opalescent Silver Grey over red
1966 E Type FHC Carmen Red over black

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 777 visits

User avatar Glyn Ruck (186), Rogerisleofman (2), davinius77 (1), User avatar David Reilly (15), philippe (3), awiedie (105), User avatar Orlando St.R (66), muzza49 (5), User avatar Tom Hoffman (10), abbirkin (3), User avatar John Quilter (11), Treetrimmer (31), User avatar cass3958 (77), ditrc123 (2), Bingo (1), Eddielopez! (1), RollyTG (4), pjrjag (9), JCS (17), johngosnell (19), DevilDog (5), Sam01 (1), khateeb (6), jonesdl (22), User avatar NigelW (10), Albion (5), brentpham (10), Jose (120), vaultsman (1), LYD707E (1), trianglefracture (2), nolbry (25)