Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Engine, Transmissions, Drive train, & Lubrications.
Jose
Global Moderator

Re: Air Cleaner Intake Hose / Seal / Clamp

Post by Jose »

I gave up a long time ago on the "value" thing. It doesn't pay. You spend $55 thousand dollars restoring a car, and then you end up selling it for $15 thousand after you get tired of messing with it.

Unfortunately, the S type is not very valuable. not like the MK-2; The S type is a better car, but not more desirable to the eyes of Small Saloon buyers. We S type owners see the value, but not many others see it.

sort of profetic words by one of the S type team designers when he asked: "Can we do better than this?" regarding the
S type's body shape.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Well ~ I would generally agree with you unless it is something exotic. But I have had 4 unsolicited offers for my car with the highest being over double what the car has cost me to buy & restore & I've spent a lot of money. I was very surprised.

Car values in the US do not gel with ROW. It's a throw away society.

Anyway it's not for sale. I'm sure my family will sell it when I'm long gone. I restored this car for my own enjoyment. The only other car I've ever wanted to restore is an Aston Martin DB6

Cyril Crouch, who was assistant chief body engineer, never liked the S Type & what Lyons had done with the styling. He preferred the 420 nose treatment. But time has looked more kindly on the S Type than the 420.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
awiedie

Post by awiedie »

Just a couple of comments about Jose's post.

I agree that there are no plain washers under the bracket at the timing cover, but I believe that the two bolts through the bracket into the block have only spring washers under their heads, not plain washers and star washers. Jaguar parts manual J.35 calls out all these front bolts in the timing cover section on page Pg 29.

The bolt at the clamp for the air intake hose, should have a spring washer under the nut, nothing under the head, again as per the parts manual Pg 40. I installed mine like Jose with the head uppermost.

Jose wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:35 pm there are no plain washers between the Bracket and the Timing Cover. The Bracket itself acts like a plain "washer".

But each of the two bolts at the timing cover should have a plain washer and a lock or "star" washer.

The Clamp should have a plain and lock washer at the nut end, and a plain washer under the bolt.

in my car, the Nut was UNDER the clamp, and the bolt head at the top of the clamp. Not that it matters at all.
1964 3.8 S Type LHD DG Auto Opalescent Silver Grey over red
1966 E Type FHC Carmen Red over black
awiedie

Post by awiedie »

Hi Dave,

When I was restoring my car for the first time back in the dark ages, 1976, it was missing a lot of parts, some of which were all the pieces of the air cleaner system. I managed to find the air cleaner itself, and a friend who had a similar car let me borrow the hose bracket and clamp in order to make my own, which I did. Can you believe that I still have the pattern after all these years? There is an attachment that shows my drawing which is actual size. The two pieces are not difficult to make out of .050 steel if you have a cutting tool, files, drill and a fairly big vise for bending. PM your address and I'll send you a copy if you like.

Glyn asked about the termination of my intake pipe at the clamp. I can only say that the NOS pipe I got from David Reilly had one end that was cut at about a 30 degree, so I assumed this was the forward end. What direction that sloped end should face I do not know for sure, but I put it where I thought was the most logical and seems to be similar to another photo of a 420 engine compartment in this forum. The other end, which I had to cut to suit the distance, slides up over the air intake down-pipe a distance, the joint being covered by my rubber seal.

Alan

jonesdl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm This has been a really interesting post as I have only seen two S types with the hose fitted and both of them had a clamp for the hose attached to the inner wing under the washer bottle bracket. I though it was strange as their are no holes on my inner wing for the clamp, so now I know how it should be fitted correctly. Unfortunately both my bracket & clamp are missing possibly like so many over the years they have been junked as not required. Encouraging to know that these parts can be found, I will just keep looking as never seen them on Ebay, but I will ask around especially as the 420 appears to be the same.If anybody has some they do not require then please let me know.
Regards
Dave J.
Attachments
s type air intake hose bracket 001.JPG
s type air intake hose bracket 001.JPG (2 MiB) Viewed 3006 times
1964 3.8 S Type LHD DG Auto Opalescent Silver Grey over red
1966 E Type FHC Carmen Red over black
jonesdl

Post by jonesdl »

That's brilliant thank you so much, I did think of trying to make one up, but of course finding a pattern to use would possibly prove difficult.
I will P.M. you for a copy of the drawing and let you know how it goes.
Regards
Dave J.
Dave J.
1966 Reg.1965 Built Jaguar S Type 3.8 MOD
2001 BMW 530D M sport touring
2010 Kia Carens L.S (Wife & Grandkids wheels)
2000 BMW R1100s
1971 Norton Commando 750 & 1964 AJS 350 Arter Trials
1959 BSA DBD 34 Clubman x 2
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Alan, that's phenomenally generous of you to share your experience and drawing of C23432 and C23532. In the years to come, future owners will be very happy to find your post. Thanks again.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

Alan Weldie has reproduced the air cleaner Seal,

Capt. Joe will be reproducing the rear resonator Hangers,

Alan has also reproduced the air cleaner hose Clamp and Bracket,

I will be reproducing the rubber Diaphragms of the original Heater Valves. After that I will need a bench tool that will cleanly open these valves and reseal them.

Who else is reproing something ?
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Thank you Alan as always for the info. I think you have the most accurate engine compartment on the planet.

Alan has had made:

Air cleaner hose bracket & clamp

Air cleaner hose seal

Brake fluid decals

Fan motor decals - white over clear.

I manufactured exhaust hanger bracket 17.
Last edited by Glyn Ruck on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
A1B56966DN
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

I had the brake fluid decal reproduced (as a sticker) in the UK in 2015. It's available here: https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/ ... ker-3.html

They also did the power steering decal for me, which is available here: https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/ourshop/ ... 6-225.html

I also had the Rubber Washer, behind Locking Handle on the front No Draught Ventilator BD26195 reproduced. I have some left over which I will offer for sale on ebay (and on this forum) when I get around to it.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

Great Orlando. There are multiple versions of that PS reservoir decal (3 ~ I think). Think I have pics of 2 of them. Don't know which were correct when. I ordered that a while back from your vendor ~ did not know you were responsible. :D

Alans's Brake Fluid & Fan Motor decals. My fan motor was screened or stamped in white.

s type decals 003.JPG
s type decals 003.JPG (43.61 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
s type decals 001.JPG
s type decals 001.JPG (63.8 KiB) Viewed 2971 times

PAS Reservoir stickers:
500x375.JPG
500x375.JPG (21.87 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
802e1d3b-bf6a-4be0-8f88-0eeaa2af2f21.png
802e1d3b-bf6a-4be0-8f88-0eeaa2af2f21.png (113.59 KiB) Viewed 2971 times

I think this is correct for all S Types ~ correct me if you know otherwise please.

PS Sticker 2.PNG
PS Sticker 2.PNG (608.74 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
A1B56966DN

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 777 visits

User avatar Glyn Ruck (186), Rogerisleofman (2), davinius77 (1), User avatar David Reilly (15), philippe (3), awiedie (105), User avatar Orlando St.R (66), muzza49 (5), User avatar Tom Hoffman (10), abbirkin (3), User avatar John Quilter (11), Treetrimmer (31), User avatar cass3958 (77), ditrc123 (2), Bingo (1), Eddielopez! (1), RollyTG (4), pjrjag (9), JCS (17), johngosnell (19), DevilDog (5), Sam01 (1), khateeb (6), jonesdl (22), User avatar NigelW (10), Albion (5), brentpham (10), Jose (120), vaultsman (1), LYD707E (1), trianglefracture (2), nolbry (25)