Uprated centre tie-rod end pins and bushes 133101U

Brakes (including handbrake), Steering, Suspension & sub-frames, Wheels & Tires
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Uprated centre tie-rod end pins and bushes 133101U

Post by Orlando St.R »

I discovered, whilst having front wheel alignment undertaken on my car, that there was a fair amount of slop in the centre tie-rod end pins and bushes. The rubber that keeps the pin separate from the bush disintegrates. This allows the pin to move without that motion being transmitted along the centre tie rod. So, the right wheel on RHD cars moves in response to your steering input, but the left wheel doesn't; vice versa on LHD cars. This makes the steering feel vague and causes wandering. If you're trying to imagine what I'm talking about, see parts diagram below (which actually shows only the centre tie-rod and just one of the pin/bush assemblies installed in one tie-rod end. There are, of course, matching parts at the other end of the centre tie rod).
tie rods etc.jpg
tie rods etc.jpg (99.46 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
It's a bit of a faff getting the centre tie-rod off and, where the service manual reads 'tap the tie rod ball pins out of the steering arm and track rod end in which they are a taper fit', you will actually need a ball-joint separator.

Given that my standard tie-rod end pins and bushes had lasted only 6,000 miles, I decided to try the uprated version from SNGB, in which the rubber is replaced with PTFE: https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... c8db1911e0
133101U.png
133101U.png (55.24 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
I had the new parts pressed into the tie-rod ends by a local engineering shop. These then slide into the steering arms okay, although a fair bit of the shank of the pin is left visible because it doesn't seat quite perfectly in the taper. The silver lining in this apparent cloud is that it will be easier to get the ball-joint separator in there when the time comes for replacement.
WP_20181029_19_57_25_Pro_2.jpg
WP_20181029_19_57_25_Pro_2.jpg (545.72 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
The result is that the wandering is more-or-less eliminated. I don't think this design of steering will ever be as good as a rack and pinion set up, but the car no longer needs constant correction. I can't detect any downside to the uprated pin/bush design. If anything, it makes turn-in a little sharper, which I guess most people would welcome.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new
Jose
Global Moderator

Re: Uprated centre tie-rod end pins and bushes 133101U

Post by Jose »

I installed those in mine too. Had to take them to a machine shop to get the old ones out and new "improved" ones pressed.
Glyn Ruck

Post by Glyn Ruck »

I also used the uprated pin. Hope I get reasonable life. While originality was very important to me I briefly looked at the rack & pinion options & all the ones I looked at screwed up the Ackerman angles.
1965 Jaguar 3.8 S Type, Sync4, OD, PAS, BRG/Biscuit on chrome wires.
http://www.jagstyperegister.com/forum_n ... ?f=3&t=152
A1B56966DN
Jose
Global Moderator

Post by Jose »

I have no clue what an ackerman or ackerwoman angle is :shock:
NigelW

Post by NigelW »

I fitted these to mine about twenty five years ago so I can vouch for a long life, I fitted them myself as fortunately I have a hydraulic press.
1964 Jaguar 3.8 S Type 1B50442BW (since 1976)
2012 VW Up!
2022 VW Multivan (T7 Transporter)
2023 Skoda Karoq
Orlando St.R
Global Moderator

Post by Orlando St.R »

Wow! That's good to know, Nigel.
1965 Jaguar 3.8S RHD DG Auto, Opalescent Maroon/Beige Leather, Varamatic PAS - one-family-owned from new

Last 100 Members Who Visited This Topic. Total 30 visits

HG_S-type (5), User avatar Glyn Ruck (6), User avatar Orlando St.R (7), User avatar cass3958 (3), User avatar primaz (1), Jose (7), User avatar NigelW (1)